Updated: March 7, 2017
Chronological History of the Soorp Khatch (Holy Cross) Church and its Community Armenians came to the Washington DC area prior to 1915 and after 1920’s during the two waves of immigration (Island of Hope, Island of Tears, by Brownstone, 1979).
The start of the Armenian’s coming to the DC area grew larger during the 1930’s and 1940’s, by 1942 a board of Trustees was formed to look for a possible church to grow our spiritual , community needs. In 1947, the first building committee was formed. At this time the community rented facilities to have church services and social activities.
The 1950’s brought the Korean War, and many young men and families came to the Washington DC from other cities in the US, as well as from overseas, which lead to the Soorp Khatch Church formally being established in 1959. A board of Trustees, Ladies Guild, Church Choir , Armenian School , and priest were added to serve its spiritual and community needs.
In the early 1960’s the Soorp Khatch Church formed a building committee tasked to look for our own church for our community needs which lead to the consecration of Soorp Khatch Church in 1964 at our Chevy Chase Maryland location.
In the mid 1980’s, 5 community leaders had the vision to form the Armenian Youth Center of Greater Washington , whose charter was to find property that could allow for expansion and future growth for our community members. This led to the purchase of land in Montgomery County (Darnestown MD) where a majority of our parishioners are located near.
Since the early 2000’s, the Armenian Youth Center and Soorp Khatch Community have worked with engineers, planners and other resources to arrive at the current proposal.